10.31.2009

OMG I Costco-ed that

Those close and dear to me in KC are rapidly becoming familiar with my love for Costco; a love I must attribute to my friend Tiffany. It's a love/hate relationship; I know Costco is actually after my monies.

It's Halloween, and I'm ready to head to Costco to purchase candy that comes in a bag too large for one person to safely walk away with. Dentists have nightmares about candy in these volumes. Hopefully on this visit, I won't get sucked into their mystical world of over-sized pies and cakes. My fall for their $6 pumpkin pie was cleverly divided into fourths for friends to share. Completely worth it. This trip, I'm completely determined to actually get some sustainable foods. Rather than loads of carbs, pies, cheese and fruits. I really do need to up my grocery-shopping skills. I'm trying to be realistic and take this growing-up business slowly. First, I'll learn how to smartly shop for groceries; then I'll eventually work my way up to cooking some semi-basic meals. Perhaps I'll even document them for you guys.

After a decent but ultimately failed trip to Costco, I stopped by a Save-A-Lot after work the other day. This trip, in it's own rights, was likewise an abysmal failure: first it started off with the rain, so much rain; then the next sign of trouble came from passing on having a grocery cart (you have to pay for one); followed by the realization that 1. I didn't bring my grocery bag 2. you have to pay for store bags (which makes complete sense) and 3. I was left with buying whatever I could carry out of the store in my arms, I was once again not victorious.

Not surprisingly, I think my success lies upon acquiring some key ingrediants and foods,specifically key Asian food items. Now the challenge is finding a half-decent Asian market. The one next to the river market in town has serious sanitation issues. I would urge people to not get anything there that isn't pre-sealed and packaged. I've seen some questionable Asian markets in my days, but this one definitely needs caution notices.

A Happy Halloween to all! Perhaps the next post with come with some costume pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment