2.17.2010

A Tribute to Taste Buds

I didn't know Roger Ebert started battling cancer in 2002 .

His words haven't stopped. His voice continues to reverberate. His readers still look to his words for guidance.

Ebert's jaw is gone and cannot remember what he last tasted, what he last spoke. Read the article.

An incredible realization, how much of my day is devoted to the tastes I reminisce of and the tastes I'm looking forward to, I think life would be a little dimmer if flavors and textures eluded my tongue.

My foray into the culinary world has been more than limited up until these past few months. Expeditions that start in the markets and grocery stores do end up more than often successful in the confines of my spartan kitchen, but the excitement of future adventures has not yet waned. The next mission may have to be Korean jigae (soup). Having moved to Kansas City, MO from Austin, TX, I do miss the variety and diversity of dining options. Perhaps this is what's spurring my newfound culinary independence. Regardless, I must find a source for Korean supplies. I've found kimchee, but I still need the right chili, tofu and stone bowls. There's nothing quite like the bits of crunchy rice you get from the bottom of a stone bowl. Friend and former co-worker Stephen Liao is wandering into KC for some excitement KC-styled, this probably means lots of BBQ. Perhaps I can convince him to accompany me on this one.

Next, I plan on assisting Ms. Sarah Connole on her quest to master the venerable French macaron. I'll be her forever devoted fan if she pulls this one off. I'm already dreaming of all the flavors and colors these little treasures will (hopefully) embody. MMmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment